Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:40:36 -0700 (PDT)
>This is what Peter Kolonia wrote in PP (have the article before

>me):  "Velvia 50, however, trumped the competition [between
>Velvia 100F and E100VS] in resolving power, with the ability to
>distinguish 81 line pairs per millimeter (lp/mm) in our
>resolution tests, compared to 72 lp/mm for both Velvia 100F and
>E100VS. Is this significant?  Probably not for general
>photography, but it could be a factor in mural-sized
>enlargements"

81 lp/mm?

81x36mm=2916 lp horizontal (round to 2900)
81x24mm=1944 lp vertical (round to 1900)

With the Canon D1S, the CCD is 4064x2704 pixels. This gives a
maximum lp/mm of around 57 lp/mm or aound 2000 lp horizontal.

However, that assumes perfect alignment of the pattern and the
array.  A more accurate resolution is more like 38 lp/mm which
is about 1350 lp horizontal.

Velvia has almost 2900 lp across the width of the image.
Canon has almost 1350 lp across the width of the image.

In all fairness, you would experience the gain in Velvia only if
kept in the analog realm.  The digitizing process instantly
negates most of the lp/mm gain in film.

Digital is coming...  It's only a matter of time before the
price and performance match and beat film.

AG (My OM with Velvia is still better than an $8000 DC) Schnozz