RE: [OM] Cam Cane (was 50-250s)

Subject: RE: [OM] Cam Cane (was 50-250s)
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:43:25 +1000
> Garry D. Lewis [mailto:erind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> You do know there are some hand carved hickory staffs with build in
> camera heads? Tried to find the web site, but got side tracked.

Funny coincidence. I just spent the week up at The Hut finding
decent near-deadwood (that is, relatively recently fallen)
to whittle and debark into walking sticks.
I've got three going that look like they'll come up half-decent,
a wattle and a couple of non-specific - that is, I don't know -
gums. I've spent half-days days "working" on them on most
days up there. I'm thinking of attaching both a leather strap,
some cane wrap for a "handle", and a mini tripod-head on top
of the wattle, which is almost staff-length (I don't know
where I'll find the parts to mount the head, but I'll work on
it).

I'll let y'all know how they turn out. It's time badly-spent (I
know I can but them cheaper at the Australian Geographic store
and modify from there), but D'ingIY seems much more fun.

Any advice (including the "Your wasting your time, fool!" type)
would of course be welcome (off-list if that floats your boat).

Oh, and the walking-stick think is a patriarchal (not by rule -
only by experience thus far) thing in the family, and though
I'll never be a father, the nurture runs deep. These are my
first (post-teen) attempts :-)

Garry, please feel free to use "whittle","debark","deadwood",
"staff-length" or "mount the head" to your humorous heart's
content <vbg>

Cheers
Marc (back from the bush to...)
Sydney, Oz