Re: [OM] Plastic Lens question

Subject: Re: [OM] Plastic Lens question
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:03:16 -0700
Lens Crafters sell plastic eye glass lenses that are thinner than normal
glass lenses. The high refraction index glass lenses are possibly
slightly thinner but you would have to have them side by side to tell
which was thinner.

As Garth said index of refraction doesn't determine the resolution of
the lenses. I believe higher index glass often had/has more variation in
the index vs. the light wavelength (aka dispersion) but it was many
years ago when I was probing into this and my memory is far from
perfect. Matching dispersion characteristics of different materials for
different lens elements is done to give better performance and adds to
the vocabulary: achromatic, apochromatic, ...

-jeff