Re: [OM] RE: 2SP Illuminator (was Plastic Lens question)

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: 2SP Illuminator (was Plastic Lens question)
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:21:12 -0400
Hi Julian,
1.> Why would you want to put an external illuminator on a 2SP anyway?

Lama: As I learned on my 4, the illuminator shuts itself off even when I'm
adjusting controls, after 10 seconds, whether I'm ready
or not.  It's too dim to use in daylight.  Heck it's even too dim to use under
theatre light.

2. > Placing a control on a "right side grip" will make it impossible to use a
> winder or motor

Lama: You mean those accessories that add blur when I'm trying to do 1/30
handheld?  The accessories that add noise when I've snuck
a camera into a concert?  You're right.  But for me, it's a chance to regain
the "gripper" aspect of the Winder (which I miss) and
gain something useful.  Useful to me.

3.  > The body of the illuminator will of necessity cover the window, meaning
that
> daylight will be useless to you, so you'll need to use the illuminator
> permanently.

Lama: See #1

4. > Would your illuminator be bright enough to compete with a finder full of a
> daylight scene?

Lama: It wouldn't be "finished" until it is, yes sir.

5.  > If so, what would you be looking at night?

Lama:  You mean it needs two levels of brightness.  Excellent point.  Thanks.

6.  > How would you attach the illuminator without either damaging the shell of
> the camera, having tape or similar in places you don't want it, or having to
> re - attach it every five seconds or so?

Lama: The 2SP has a threaded socket for a Grip (page A-34 of Instruction manual
A), just like the 4 does.  What I envision, and it
might be a pipe dream, would fasten there (like the XA's A11 flash), hold
batteries in a vertical "grip", have a cutout for the
strap lug, then turn East, covering the model name and the illuminator window.

7.  > The only benefit I can see for doing this is a marginal increase in
battery
> life. If battery drain is an issue for you, don't buy an OM2S.

Lama: Nope.  It's not about batteries.  I always carry spares, since I bought
my first PC anyway.