Re: [OM] would an "equipment exchange" work on the OM list?

Subject: Re: [OM] would an "equipment exchange" work on the OM list?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:33:32 +1000
Jeez you're a bloody gear snob Walt.
We'll simply genuflect in the direction of your collection then. :)

Now I wouldn't like to rain on the parade folks....No, bugger it; I will.
I was involved in a passaround of a disposable camera on the Photoforum list. Nice idea - everyone took one shot and passed it on. The one that went around the world (twice) had no problems and all the pix came out - some were surprisingly good. HOWEVER, the two that went around the US alone were beset by problems. There was 'Whaddya mean a couple of days - the weather's no good and I'll do it when I'm damn well good and ready!' (2 months or so). One guy simply refused to give up the cam until another list member went around personally and made hard noises on his doorstep. A couple seemed to have quite genuine mental health problems - 'Camera? What camera?' - 'It's mine I tell you, all mine!' One camera was eventually recovered but half the pix were unusable. The other simply vanished I think. Another camera went out to selected participants. One person charged with processing/scanning never managed to get around to it and the rest of the list amused itself by hurling abuse. Then, when all was set to put up the pix, the entire list went ballistic with copyright issues (several pro photogs were involved). The idea was to display on the net and in hard form - the hard display never happened (releases, reproduction rights, fees, disclaimers - all too hard). Sevral people left the list. I have never seen such a display of anal behaviour in my life. The idea of passing anything precious around make me shudder deep within the soul. It could work; it should work; it won't work
Andrew
(Oh, I'll have the 35/2 Walt, if the item is beneath your contempt).

Secondly, like Tom, I've got some stuff I definitely wouldn't want
to risk, especially in light of the aforementioned experience:
21/2, 50/2, 90/2, 100/2, 35-80/2.8, any of the macro bellows
lenses, not even the 180/2.8.  (I'm assuming the Tamrons aren't
part of this plan, but if they are, the 80-200/2.8 and the 300/2.8
are off limits too.)  And I'm sure not shipping off a 4Ti.

So this leaves just the common, garden-variety stuff that nearly
everybody's got anyway.  I wouldn't have a problem loaning out a
35/2, 50/1.8, 1.4 or 3.5, or a 135/2.8, etc., but who really cares?

Walt