Re: [OM] Chromogenic films

Subject: Re: [OM] Chromogenic films
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:20:29 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, 21 July, 2003 01:17 PM
Subject: [OM] Chromogenic films

> As suggested, chromogenic films can take piles of overexposure. If you're
> trying to balance highlight and shadow detail, just do a series of
> increasing overexposures at one stop intervals, then print best one.
>
> The key of which film to use is in the printing. If you are having prints
> made on a color minilab, use the Kodak films, as they have the orange
mask.
> the Ilford films don't, so it's hard to get a good neutral black.

I once dropped off a roll of XP2 at a local Wal-Mart. The counter clerk was
new on the job and was looking to please the customer. The pick up clerk was
visibly annoyed and told me not to sneek another roll of XP2 into their
system. The prints were awful ..... sepia / brown toned as I recall..... and
were either too light or too dark. The negatives had been correctly exposed
and had been developed properly. The pick up clerk explained that it all had
to do with the absence of the orange mask and that they would have no
trouble with the Portra C41 black and white film. I tried them with a roll
of that film and their results were excellent.

jh