Re: [OM] velvia exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] velvia exposure
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:26:03 +0930
At 11:22 AM +0100 2003.07.22, Adam Long wrote:
>I tend to assess the lighting; if its low contrast then you will get a nicer
>result with 1/3-2/3 overexposure (ie expose at iso 32-40). If its high
>contrast, ie in full sun, you want to be right on the money at 50, but it
>might be worth bracketing 1/3 stop either way. Beware that velvia 'blocks
>up' the shadows just as easily as it burns out the highlights. Neither is
>very attractive - if your composition contains areas of either then weight
>your exposure towards rendering it with some detail.

Very useful comments.

I wrote earlier that in my experience so far I find it best to tend towards
underexposure with Velvia. And several people I know make similar comments.

These comments apply in the most part to bright light, often full sun (we
get a lot of it here in South Australia). Burning out of highlights is
very apparent in overexposed shots. But looking back over what I've taken
there are one or two in less intense light (eg a couple taken just after dawn
last weekend) that show something of the "blocking up" of shadows that
you mention.

I'll now try some experiments in lower contrast situations with 1/3 stop
brackets -- should be easy as we have three days of rain/overcast forecast!
And I have a borrowed Minolta Spotmeter F for a few days.

thanks
  Andrew