Re: [OM] velvia exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] velvia exposure
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:34:13 -0700
Thanks for finally raising a crucial issue. I've stayed out of this thread, since I've never shot Velvia in my life. There are a whole lot of folks, and I bet lots on the list, who are shooting with meters that haven't been checked for a long time. If you get into using a film where 1/3 stop makes a significant difference, you have to either get the meter calibrated or calibrate the film and meter through bracketed test shots until you find the correct iso for YOUR METER. Listening to some guy(s) telling how Velvia is really an iso 40, or 60 or 25 or 100 speed film (and I've heard all of these) and taking it on blind faith that their meter(s) are accurate or inaccurate in the same direction as your meter(s) is silly.

Just checking to see if a couple or three bodies give the same reading on a white wall doesn't really tell you much. Part of accuracy is linearity over a wide range of brightness and that needs to be checked too. By the way, OM-1s that have been converted to take 1.5v batteries become less linear.

As Schnozz says, the manufacturers actually go to some trouble to determine the mid tone sensitivity of the film and reproduce it pretty consistently from roll to roll. And they have more expensive, more sensitive, more accurate and more regularly calibrated equipment than we do.

Anyway, it makes no difference to me, I shoot almost exclusively color neg film with huge latitude, partly because I don't want to have to worry about adding or subracting bits of stops to decide whether I'm going to lose highlights or shadows whenever there is a little contrast. But I am amazed at some of the obvious BS that flies around about slide exposure.

AG Schnozz wrote:

As with ALL films, if your meter is calibrated correctly, you
should be able to shoot most scenes with the meter set at the
published ISO film rating.