Re: [OM] macro

Subject: Re: [OM] macro
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:46:48 +0200
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:38:04 -0500
"Steve and Kathy" <fishfan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the welcome.  I'm absolutely in dire need of macro
> stuff.  I love macro.  Believe it or not, I've been satisfied with
> the screw-on close ups. That needs to change.  I'm a fiend for
> natural lighting, so I want fast lenses,too.  *sigh* expensive
> addiction.
>
> Fish photography is tricky.  I don't know if I'm up for that, yet.

Nahh, it's not :) There are two really good ways to do it:

        1) Strap on scuba-gear and get a Nikonos V with some flashes. Of
           course, this assumes that the fishes are in an aquarium
           big enough to dive into such as, say, the Pacific Ocean :)

        2) Darken the room (to avoid reflections), illuminate the aquarium

           with light of the appropriate temperature. Load your OM
           with Provia 400, and push it to 3200 ISO; mount the 50.3,5. Put

           something to rest the arms on in front of the tank (forget about

           tripods for aquarium photos -- those beasts move fast). Then,

           just patience :) Most ciclids and tetras and stuff are
           sufficiently curious and calm to be photographable that way. I've
           tried -- and failed -- convincing my siamensis or labeos to stay
           still for sufficiently long time, though.....still working on it.

--thomas

> kathyD

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)