Re: [OM] Photographing the Concorde (anywhere) before it's too late....

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing the Concorde (anywhere) before it's too late....
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:38:48 +0100
Reminds me that there have been a couple of occasions where I've seen Concorde and not taken photos, which is a shame. At the millenium (New Year 1999/2000 for pedants!), part of the general festivities included Concorde flying over central London. Sadly, but not entirely unexpectedly for mid-winter, low cloud meant that all we got on the ground was the noise - but that was pretty awesome!

There was also a flyby as part of the Jubilee celebrations last year - an impressive array of planes of various vintages, and Concorde in formation with the Red Arrows. An amazing sight, but didn't have my camera with me to record it. If I'd have known the end of the Concorde era was only a couple of years distant I'd have made sure I had the OM-1 with me.

Roger

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi Roger  et al,

I'd be a goer on this one if I could.

About 12 years ago Concorde did a few flights to New Zealand, and I went out to the airport in Christchurch to watch the first one, from a suitable roadside to the south. I had my two kids with me at the time; pre-teens, and for a change I decided to spare them the usual spectacle of me concentrating on photography. So I left camera and tripod at home. I've kicked myself ever since about that. It was an absolutely beautiful clear morning, wonderful light, and we were perfectly positioned for 300mm shots as Concorde did a huge circle around us prior to landing.
That plane looked so graceful and elegant as it did the circle it did.

Later visits were not in such good weather or with such good timing (the first was 11am, Saturday morning).

Brian