RE: [OM] scaring bugs (OT)

Subject: RE: [OM] scaring bugs (OT)
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:36:18 +1000
> Steve and Kathy [mailto:fishfan@xxxxxx] wrote:
> ...We've been noticing daddy-long-legs spiders with little
> bright red mites on them.  So I'm trying to get a shot at that.

>From http://www.theplantlady.net/archives/000814.html

 On rare occasions I notice small red dots attached to the
 legs, randomly placed. These are trombiculid mites, relatives
 that also inhabit moist or damp places. The small mites are
 most likely hitching a ride, as there does not seem to be a
 symbiotic relationship between the two.

There's more on the "daddy long legs" at the link if you're
interested. Also, pictures and links to pictures and info:

http://www.arachnology.org/Arachnology/Pages/Opiliones.html

Daddy long legs and most spiders don't bother me much, but
I'm still not sticking a 50/3.5 close to those funnel-shaped
webs up in our back wall :-)

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz