[OM] Yellowing of SC coatings

Subject: [OM] Yellowing of SC coatings
From: Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:00:35 +0200 (CEST)
Hi List,
I subscribed after a few years again, but I'm not sure
for how long I'll be able to manage an avalanche of
about 200 mails a day...

Anyway, one or more participants brought up the point
of "yellowing" of old SC Zuikos.

> ...SC version "On the
> other hand, I've been very impressed by a
> non-yellowing silvernose 50/1.4." Only the very
> early SC f1.4s yellow
> with age. Anything over say serial #200,000 (others
> will know more
> exactly) should be safe from that standpoint.

I do have an old 1.4/50 serial 145xxx and an old
1.8/50 serial 887xxx. Both their coatings are
yellow-orange these days.

But I thought that's just how they always were? Are
you saying they kinda bleached out? If so, what WERE
the original colors of these coatings?? I wonder how
good anybody's memory still is on that after the 25+
years... :-)

greetings,
Thomas Haegin
Zurich, Switzerland