RE: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body

Subject: RE: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:36:43 -0700
"Cultural imperialism?" Exactly which of us "imperialists" is cramming said
programming down anyone's throat?

1. Change the bloody channel
2. Produce your own, and better what's available from us.
3. Don't watch at all (even better, IMHO)

Cultural imperialism, indeed. For some odd reason, millions the world over make
a choice every day between what's available from local producers of all sorts
of product and that available from any of a myriad of producers from other
countries. We're no different here in the USA. For instance, we buy thousands
upon thousands of Japanese and European cars in preference to our own
home-produced variety. Is that "cultural imperialism," also? Or is it only
"cultural imperialism" when it's USA product displacing the home-grown variety
in <insert country name here>?

Lest anyone misread this... I'm not attempting to start a flame war here. In
fact, I'd love to discuss this further--but off-list. Andrew (or anyone)?
Consider it an invitation for a reasoned debate.

---
Scott Gomez