[OM] OT Common Language

Subject: [OM] OT Common Language
From: "Rich" <deepkeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 03:40:27 -0700
Couldn't resist...

Them what's longin' t' speak proper, look no further 'an Robert Newton's
Long John Silver, 'r Blackbeard, harrrr!  He be the master o' the King's
English, firin' off right salty phrases whilst keepin' a short sheet on 'is
blue flamin' parrot's tongue.  Aye!  Study "Treasure Island" well, ya scurvy
swabs, or "you can count amongst yer treasure a ball from this 'ere pistol!"

More examples: "Arrrr, I got a pain in me innards, Davy!"
"Thank ee kindly."'
"Well, blow me down for an old sea carf!"
"If you clamps your deadlights on that there Black Dog again, repel
boarders!"
And my favorite: "Arr-men!" (after prayer)

A couple list members have the spirit, witness:

>"it's not the colour of the *coatings*, but the colour of the *glass*
>itself what goes yellow" (a Spanish pirate? ;-))
and
>"Yeah, and how bout us that's got more than we need all ready?

(didn't know you were speakin' pirate, did ya, George? :-))

Rich (squinting with one eye)