Re: [OM] OT Names for hydrocarbons

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Names for hydrocarbons
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:45:10 +0100
Bad luck old bean :-(. A litre is about the same as the little US quart.

Chris

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 20:02 Europe/London, Piers Hemy wrote:

I did it myself.

Once.

Only realized when the trigger cut out with a click - tank full. Then I
noticed the word "unleaded" on the trigger.

I had to get a tow off the motorway (freeway) to have the tank drained. On the way, the tow truck driver showed the point about 100 yards (300 feet)
short of the junction (off-ramp) where those who haven't realized their
mistake run out of road - the petrol (gasoline) washes out the seals on the diesel fuel system, which therefore has to be stripped to have the seals
replaced.  It gets expensive. Though I thought my misadventure was bad
enough, because it cost me sixty litres (liters) of petrol (gasoline).

Which in turn reminds me of the US tourists I overheard on the train, noting the prices displayed at an Exxon station we were passing "Gee, the gas isn't so much more expensive after all - 80 pence is about $1.30 isn't it?". I hadn't the will to explain that we price in litres (liters) not gallons (and if we did, they would be Imperial, not US gallons), so - for the record - gasoline here (UK) costs about $4.50 per US gallon. And I expect Roger will
chime in to tell us it is even more in Denmark (but you don't have many
hills to climb there Roger).

Cheer up, it makes that 50/2 Macro look a bit cheaper.

Piers
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.