Re: [OM] new Kodak high resolution film

Subject: Re: [OM] new Kodak high resolution film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:15:13 -0500
Note:
There's an ISO 200 version as well.  Found it being marketed in Europe.
Availablility may vary on this in North America.

Pulled up the PDF data sheet on the ISO 400 hi-definition and compared it to the old PDF data sheet for Royal Gold 400. They were absolutely identical except the new one deletes reciprocity failure information (exposure compensation and filtering). Went to the U.K. site and found the ISO 200 version, but no data sheet for it. However, by its description, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's Royal Gold 200.

Both are significantly finer grained than what used to be called "Kodak Gold 200" (now "Bright Sun and Flash") and "Kodak Gold 400" (now "Kodak Max Versatility"). The Royal Gold films were, IMO, slightly more saturated and seemed a bit contrastier. Decent with skin tones though.

Kodak keeps changing the names:
Gold 400 -> Max -> Max Versatility

Gold 800 -> Max Zoom -> Max Versatility Plus
[and I fail to see how the extreme graininess of it is a "plus"]

My Opinion About Hi-Definition:
I wish Kodak still made Royal Gold 25 (aka Ektar 25) and Royal Gold 100.

-- John