[OM] Opinions on the E-10 (or E-20)?

Subject: [OM] Opinions on the E-10 (or E-20)?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:11:16 -0700
Folks: I'd like to hear from Zuikaholics who have used an E-10 or E-20. What do you like about them? What don't you like? Did you go whole-hog and graduate to a N*kon or C*non digital SLR? Did you decide to stick with film after all? Are you happy as a clam with the E-10/E-20 and find it's enough? What sort of shooting did you find it suitable for and not suitable for?

Background:

I've been fooling with a little digicam lately--a used Nikon Coolpix 990 I picked up on EvilBay. The idea was to get my feet wet in digital without sinking too much money into it. I'm finding the little digital great for family snapshots, casual photography, experimentation, instant feedback, and in the case of the 990, macro. And it's a great learning tool.

But film it ain't. There's noise, there's shutter delay, there's a fairly awkward user interface, low dynamic range and highlights that blow no matter what you do. It's obvious to me that if I'm going to do any serious work with digital, I'll need a better camera. I'm honestly not sure if I want to do that or not. I've been quite happy with my film cameras, one of which is an OM-2. I like small, light, fast-operating, and good quality. I like the quality of film, but I hate sitting in front of the scanner.

If I did get a better digital camera, it seems that a pro or almost-pro SLR is the ticket. I rarely go above letter size, so megapixels are not the issue. Image noise, dynamic range, shutter delay and reasonably facile controls are. I am more of a people photographer than a landscape photographer, and I like ISO 400. (The E-10's ISO 320 might be OK, but it has to be a usable 320, not noise city).

I don't think a top-of-the-line P&S digicam is the ticket. I've played with some of the better ones in a store, including the Olympus 5050. The 5050 responds too slowly for my style of shooting, and is too small for my hands. Nice camera in general, though.

If I upgrade digitally, I'd like something with a physically bigger sensor, less noise, maybe more dynamic range. Price is an object. A used or fire-sale Canon D30 is one possibility. The E-10 or E-20 is another.

Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated.

--Peter Klein
Seattle