Re: [OM] Lighting lessons

Subject: Re: [OM] Lighting lessons
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:06:59 -0500
At 09:36 PM 7/28/03, Gary Edwards wrote:
I just received a CD in the mail from Photoflex with various lighting
lessons as well as their current catalog of (surprise!) lighting gear.

Darn!  Wish they'd send me one.

Anyway, they have several free lessons on lighting a variety of subjects at:
http://www.webphotoschool.com/newschool/Default.asp

The information will be useful for photographers with little experience in
lighting setups.  And the Olympus content?  Most of the examples are shot on
Oly digicams: E-10, E-20, C-5050.

I have discovered starting some time last year that studio lighting is one of the most complex tasks in making studio photographs, whether it's of animate subjects or inanimate objects. Seriously! Working with available light seems so simple. Outdoors, it simply requires patience until the correct season, weather and time of day converge for the envisioned scene. Indoors, you work pretty much with what you have. Add a little simple fill if need be.

A studio is another matter entirely! The photographer controls everything. I now have two fairly powerful strobes that are used "on-location" at weddings and as main and fill at home. Also have four much less powerful ones for use at home as kickers, spots, etc. The more I get into it, the more complicated it becomes with ideas about how to add highlights here and there . . . and there are as many different types of light modifiers as there are brands of lights . . . each with their own unique effect; sometimes subtle and sometimes dramatic.

Every series of photographs I do now using the lights is yet another learning experience. Sometimes it works extremely well and sometimes it doesn't work as well as envisioned, even with modeling lights. I get ideas for how to use the lights differently from these types of tutorials. There's no end of how to illuminate something and the lighting along can radically change the entire mood of the photograph. So . . . if you're working with lighting, even if it's a jury rigged off-camera flash setup, I heartily recommend looking at every tutorial and lighting diagram you can for ideas.

Thanks for the link!

-- John