Re: [OM] Pictures Eastern Sierra trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Pictures Eastern Sierra trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:08:20 -0700
Richard F. Man wrote:

At 09:01 PM 7/28/2003 -0700, Moose wrote:

Thanks Moose for sending me some less-blue pictures privately. I am replying back on the list because other people may benefit from the answers to the following. Did you just use Adjustment Replace Color type of command? I also read that possible slides look bluer when it is underexposed a bit. The slides themselves look good on a light box and scanned in, but I wonder if the exposure is slightly under.

This was nothing fancy, just a very quick look at what they would look like with less blue. Image>Adjust>/Color Balance and pull the Blue-Yellow slider away from Blue.

BTW, I like what you did w/ IMG017,

I think on IMG017, I probably went to about -75-80 B-Y and moved the Cyan-Red a tiny bit toward red.

but I like the original IMG036 better.

I may have gotten carried away with IMG036. I think I just pulled the B-Y slider left to -100. My experience of strongly weathered wood, including in the high Sierra, is that it is a pretty neutral gray. Now that I look at '36' as I modified it again, I notice a slight green tint to the gray of the wood. Since I am very slightly red-green color blind, it's probably more than slightly green. Pulling green down about -20 should help that.

As for which one is more true. I just don't know. I do know that the sky were really blue. Interestingly enough, I am reading one of Galen Rowell's book (basically a collection of his essays from Outdoor Photography) and one of the more controversial essays was his theory that colors don't exist per se, but is a property of the perception!

There is neurological evidence to this effect.

Moose