Re: [OM] New FAQ Versions Finally!

Subject: Re: [OM] New FAQ Versions Finally!
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:01:50 +1000
In the message I received, Moose writes:

Moose[1],

>When I try to go to your link, I get the Netscape error message "The
>connection was refused when attempting to contact
>brashear.phys.appstate.edu" or the IE error message "Cannot find server
>or DNS Error"  from this account or my other sbcglobal.net accounts.
>This has been the case for some time. I have to use my Compuserve
>account to access your site, same computer, same DSL line, but it works.
>Any ideas?

Sure, always. What DNS server are you using when you're using your
PacBell DSL account?

Any of these should do:
206.13.28.12 - Frisco (SF)
206.13.29.12 - El Lay (LA)
206.13.30.12 - Sacramento (SAC)
206.13.31.12 - Sandy Eggo (SD)

In fact, they all know that brashear.phys.appstate.edu has an IP address
152.10.143.11. Well, now they know; but they didn't have it in their
caches, which leads me to believe you must be using some different DNS
servers.

Seems like whatever DNS server you are using either isn't working as it
should (many reasons why it wouldn't work properly, but this is
definitely not the right list for that -- e-mail me off-list if you want
to go into a lenghty discussion about that topic) or your computer
didn't try to access secondary DNS server you have set up:
       1. your computer tries to resolve brashear.phys.appstate.edu
       2. primary DNS is unavailable for who-knows-what reason
       3. DNS query times out
       4. your web client caches "no answer" to the query
       5. any and all successive retries to resolve that address are
          doomed until you restart the web client

Cheers,

Saso

[1] Why does 'Call me old-fashioned. Call me moose. Just don't call me
....' come to mind?