Re: [OM] ( OM ) Query on how to get a better image

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Query on how to get a better image
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:54:31 -0400
This was the last Yamaha model. Yamaha has now D/C'd their CD Rom business and may have licensed others for this patented technology. These units remain in the closeout market. 2 cents worth: This computer captive joined this OM letter to further a return to reality begun in the seventies on mountain tops in WA with an OM 1. The CDROM.... R/W/RW/XXX DVD/ soon to be blue laser variants, etc, etc.etc. is all nice but why on this site?????? I use CDROM every day on blanks that cost 1/10 of an archaic floppy and use a very simple 'Sharpie' permanent marker to carefully write quickly (much faster than fussing with SW) the contents of the disk and date on the TOP side. If you need to do a lot of them, make a cheap stencil. K-I-S-S all this inkjet printing and printed labels and laser printed labels and....... when you could be out with an OM. Finally, almost any label other than a felt pen risks unbalancing the disk so that it can not be read at optimum speed. When CDROMs were 8x, the wobble was not a problem. At 50+ X, the least imbalance corrupts the process.

.........and unless you are REALLY into LONG movies and have no other choice at the moment, don't get me started on the wasteful $/MB of DVD when CDROM blanks are sub ten cents. This will change in the next year as blue laser technology enters the marketplace of mere mortals.
w. hunter