Re: [OM] external metering with extension tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] external metering with extension tubes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 21:50:46 -0500
At 09:25 PM 7/31/03, you wrote:
I figured someone would "best" me somehow.  :)

At first I thought this would be a very minor correction. Then I thought of the 50mm f/3.5 macro. When that helical is racked all the way out for close focusing the lens extension (LE) would be well worth correcting for with slide film.

I guess if you have internal focussing, like the AF camp usually does, LE is essentially zero?

Lama

No. Some have an "effective" extension as if it were physically extended; others exhibit focal length variation with focusing; and yet others exhibit both. Using a zoom lenses that employ internal focusing with extension tubes is much more difficult than with primes, and not just with exposure compensation (if it's required). Sometimes its easier to calculate compensation based on magnification. With that method, exact isn't necessary. A reasonable estimate works. Estimating magnification is relatively simple if subject size is easily measured or estimated in English units, using a film frame of 1 X 1.5 inches, and estimating how much of the film is filled horizontally or vertically with the subject. Equations for this are:
  Exposure Factor = ( 1 + M )^2,
    where M = magnification on film.
    Use this to increase shutter speed.
  EV Compensation = 2 * log( 1 + M ) / log(2)
    This represents compensation required in f-stops.

As with the other equations, further discussion is on my web site:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/science/scienceexposure.html#Macrophotography

I most often use the magnification method when working with monolights and simply dial in the EV compensation needed on the Gossen Luna Pro F dial.

-- John