Re: [OM] Strange OM-2n behaviour

Subject: Re: [OM] Strange OM-2n behaviour
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Aug 2003 08:45:35 -0500
>>> On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:52:35 +0930, Andrew L Wendelborn
>>> <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

 alw> Twice in the last week or so my 2n has acted strangely, on the
 alw> first shot taken for the day, after it's been idle for a couple
 alw> of days.

 alw> I set up the shot, figure out the exposure settings, set them
 alw> manually, switch the camera to manual, and press the
 alw> shutter. Which then stays open for about half a second instead
 alw> of the 1/125 or 1/250 I had set. f8 or so for each.

 alw> Thereafter it's fine. And exposures come back looking as they
 alw> should (except of course for the first, which is drastically
 alw> overexposed).

 alw> Happened with two different lenses, neither of which show any
 alw> sign of sluggish aperture blades.

 alw> Any ideas on what might cause this?

Sounds like the same problem I had on my -2n. According to Clint, its
a sticky shutter curtain electromagnet. As I understand it, when the
camera sits for a while (over night for example) lubricant seeps onto
the surface of the magnets and causes them to stick. After that first
time, it works OK.

Johnie