Re: [OM] I thought the list was subscribers only?

Subject: Re: [OM] I thought the list was subscribers only?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 03:02:40 +0200
Skip, et. al.,

Authoritative information follows :)

The list accepts only mails from subscribers. All other mail ends in
my inbox. This includes, daily:

        - 1-2 listmembers, who has more than one address and mixes up which
          is subscribed to the list,

        - a gazilion offers of medication which can....ehh....grow your
          "focal length" without perscription :)

        - a few mails offering to descramble your TV channes for free,

        - some guy in Nigeria, decendant of a diseased high-level offical of
          some regime, who has selected "dr. olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" as a
          "reputable partner for an international transaction involving
          transfering money around,

        - a couple of people thinking that this is an official contact
          address for Olympus USA / Japan, and want to have their digital
          camera serviced.

I'd say that it amounts to about 50-70 such mails per day which the
list is spared....

However you may find your email address harvested and spam sent to
thatone outside the list. I wish I could do something about that, but
I can't ;(

Ohh, and btw., I get about 150 pieces of spam daily from different
places. Fortunately I have decent spam-filters, but daily a good
bunch get through and requires attention :(

Regards,

--thomas

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 07:31:02 -0500
Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought that last year the list software had been reconfigured to
> be a subscribers only list, where only messages from people who
> were on the subscriber list were let through.  Wouldn't this stop
> the spam?
>
> Skip

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)