Re: [OM] OT Speeds, was Cellphones, was:Introduction haegint

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Speeds, was Cellphones, was:Introduction haegint
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:42:26 +0100
In article , Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Can't help but agree with you there Donald.  It is a matter of careful=20=

driving to know what your speed is...

Yes Chris, its something we all take for granted but next time you see a traffic cop pointing a speed gun at you just try to keep your eyes off that speedo.

You might like to try this little test. Step outside in a dark jacket and a peaked cap and hold an OM camera and 135mm or longer lens at arms length pointing towards oncoming vehicles from the side of the road and watch the traffic and drivers reactions. Works even better if the camera has a coiled flash lead running to something in your other hand.

I have done this a few times, quite unintentionally, with thermal imaging cameras and you can see the tires, discs and even the road heat up as *everyone* hits their brakes, irrespective of whether they are inside the limit or not. Even on 40 and 50mph zones, a lot of folk slow right down to 30mph just to be on the safe side if they see an unexpected speed trap.

It has nothing to do with how often you check your speed or what speed you are confident you are doing.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers