[OM] Re: ( OM) 100mm 2 vs 2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) 100mm 2 vs 2.8
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:35:12 +1200
Hi folks

I really agree with what Olafo wrote here.

> Look down into the depths of that awesome pool of ED glass and you'll
> immediately fall in love with it...:) This is what I call the "100/2 magic" :)
>
> Really, I find this to be THE example of Zuiko quality. The weight doesn't
> bother me at all, but I can imagine some people wanting a slightly lighter
> lens.
>
> >If you had both, when would you use one over the other?
>
> Uhhhhh, honestly? My answer would be: 100/2 always, 100/2.8 never. :))) Even
> in
> high risk areas would I bring the 100/2; I've made sure to get good insurance
> on
> it. :)
>
> Then, regarding an interesting comment coming from Tom:
>
> > goes to 1:2 (Did I get that right)?  The 100/2 is really TOO sharp for me
> > and
> > the results in portraiture are more pleasing to me with the 100/2.8 or 90/2
> > (I
> > actually prefer the 90/2).
>
> Hmmmm, can a lens ever be _too_ sharp? In the case that a softer image is
> desired I think I'd simply apply one of the various blurring techniques
> (such as filters), or opening it all the way up to f2. Having said that, I
> really can never push myself to actually intentionally making a picture
> soft/blurred, I really like the ultimate sharpness. :)
>
> Oh, one more thing: to me, the 100/2 is a synonym for excellent bokeh, it is
> really Smoooothhhhh with a big capital 'S'. :)))))

I don't agree that I'd *never * take my 100/2.8, but the f/2 is VERY sharp, and
it focuses down to 0.7 metre. And the bokeh? Who remembers my rabbit
shot on Robert Gries' exchange site, or the poppy photos I had on my own
site once?. marvellous bokeh, and several people un-prompted, mentioned it.

On the other hand, I have found it a somewhat perplexing lens to use. The
aperture stop-down button has a very strong spring which *may* contribute to
system vibration, and accurate focus is essential.

But, a tripod is not always needed - that very sharp shot (one of several in a
series) of my rabbit was hand-held at 70 cm distance; but the camera was in
portrait orientation, and I had one elbow firmly planted on solid concrete
which would had stabilised things somewhat.

The 100/2 is a tremendous lens, IMO.

Brian