Re: [OM] Strip searching OMs at the airport

Subject: Re: [OM] Strip searching OMs at the airport
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:02:42 +1000
In the message I received, "Walt Wayman" writes:
>Don't expect it to get any easier.   As those of us who used to be
>in the news biz love to say, this just in:

Seems like a fine piece of scaremongering. Only the best from CNN.

>"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Homeland Security officials have told CNN
>that an advisory will be issued directing the aviation industry
>and all federal screeners and local authorities to pay particular
>attention to electronic items like remote key locks, and specific
>brands and models of cell phones, boom boxes and cameras.

Boom boxes scare me. Big or small, if they go boom, I don't want to be
anywhere near.

Specific brands and models of mobile phones? Heck, we should ban the
devil spawn completely. It used to be so easy to rule out wackos on the
street -- they're the ones walking and talking to no one in sight. Now,
its hard to tell genuine cases from loonies with mobiles.

>"Recent raids of al Qaeda safe houses overseas turned up evidence
>that the group was trying to modified electronic devices to carry
>small weapons or explosives, administration officials told CNN.
>For instance, a camera flash was being modified to convert to, or
>carry, a stun gun, the officials said."

Fear and loathing in lost wages! What's next? Strip searching everyone
to make sure they don't carry a ceramic gun barrel, body of the pistol
made of composite materials, ...? I know, I know! Let's reintroduce East
German border crossing measures (X-ray every car and truck that
passes through the gates).

>Walt, who doesn't care much for flying and prefers good ol' terra
>firma.  (The more the firma, the less the terra.)

Saso, who saw the idiotic application of 'increased security measures'
first-hand at Heathrow on 14.09.2001