[OM] ( OM ) Olympus Six

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Olympus Six
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:33:10 +1200
Hi everybody,

Perhaps you remember the Olympus Six I "accidentally" bought on oBoy
about two months ago.

The shutter didn't work very well, the bellows had some holes, and I could
see what looked like drops of ? oil on the inner surface of the lens.  But the
rest looks fine (except for the leather case which was poor quality from the
word go, I'd say).

Progress report is that the shutter now works reasonably well (apparently it
is a copy of an early version of a German Prontor shutter that is rather
primitive compared to later designs), the "oil" actually was the interior
coating of the lens (at least one element) and it had self-destructed. Now at
least the glass is clean and without bobbles on it. The bellows is under
repair. The folds are being persuaded though a process of repeated wetting
with water and then pinching in the appropriate places then drying, to resume
something like the proper form. Apparently the design / manufacture is too
short for the length of the extension and consequently the material is
stretched far too much.

It should be usable in about a week and I have already bought the first roll of
film in anticipation of this. I will also probably make up a lens hood for it.

Brian