Re: [OM] Land sans-flat, II

Subject: Re: [OM] Land sans-flat, II
From: Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:00:53 -0500
See if you can find the book "Ghost Towns of Colorado" by Philip Varney, with nice pictures by John Drew. It has directions to a lot of nice ghost towns and associated attractions. We used it two years ago when we toured that area.

From Buena Vista, we drove over Columbia pass to Tincup, bought a tin cup at Tincup, and then drove over Cumberland pass through Quartz, Pitkin and Ohio City, with a side trip up to Alpine tunnel. We did it in a 4-cylinder 1993 Dodge Dynasty, so your jeep will have NO problems.

I've heard good things about St. Elmo, but we haven't gotten there yet.
There are also back roads from Ohio City and Pitkin out to Route 50, and a road or trail that goes up to the other side of Alpine tunnel. We didn't have the time, or the vehicle to try them.

We were there about this time of year, and the temperatures were real nice, except on top of Cumberland pass. It was very cold up there.

Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa

AG Schnozz wrote:

In the interests of narrowing things down, we'll be venturing to
the Salida area and working the trails there.  Supposed to be
tons of good stuff in that region.  Tincup, St. Elmo, etc...

Hmm.  Colorado Zuiko/4wd meet?

AG