Re: [OM] Mars close encounter

Subject: Re: [OM] Mars close encounter
From: Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:28:03 +0200 (CEST)
Dear fellow listmembers,

I do have almost zero experience with Astrophotography
(took a few pictures of the Moon only, in my OM dark
ages). But I would like to try to take pictures of
Mars over the next few weeks as it is so "close" by.

I do not have the possibility to mount my OM onto a
telescope.

I'd think of using my OM-4T because of the Auto
exposure. I'd be using a heavy tripod and employ the
self-timer to minimize "shake" (don't know the proper
English word for it).

Couple of questions:

All I have as a long tele is a 5.6/300mm Tamron SP. I
could mount the teleconverter which would give me an
11/600mm. I somehow fear that even 600mm is too short
to get a decent picture of Mars. What do you
experienced astrophotographers think: Is this any
usable? I reckon exposure times will be very long...

Which immediately leads to the second question:
Obviously, the stars are wandering. So how long is
about the maximum aperture time in which the final
magnification of say 6x9 inches prints would appear
sharp?

In terms of film I was thinking of using Kodak Supra
400. It could be pushed to 800 or even 1600 ASA. Maybe
B+W would be another option? What would you suggest I
should use? I don't care if it's print or chrome.

Sorry I my ideas sound like complete rubbish to the
astroexperts here. I will frankly admit to my complete
ignorance in this field. You can tell me if I should
better forget about it alltogether :-)  Any
suggestions gladly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Thomas