Re: [OM] ebay scammers(OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] ebay scammers(OT)
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:27:32 -0400
Not an expert in software engineering of spyware, but these gremlins don't hide in the cookie jar. They behave analogous to cookies, but are worse. Turning off cookies will only give problems with your secure transactions, etc. If one is an expert in Firewall configuration, these can help to prevent the upload function. Trusting in the legendary security of my Mac OS X, have not explored this option. Best cure is prevention - - - reason for my quick note yesterday, DON'T OPEN. If it 'Looks Funny' (the tip off to John), it probably is.......

As John mentioned this morning, he ran a spyware detection/cleaner program just for good housekeeping. No substitute for the latter. Just don't get confused and trust your virus prevention SW to accomplish this task. SUMMARY: Pragmatic prevention. Periodic housekeeping with spyware elimination SW.

Additional Note: Again, I lack personal experience, but those who use perpetual-on cable connection with their computer in standby may increase their exposure to these critters, especially on the upload side. They can be written to 'awake' in the middle of the night and download when you least expect. ..........like the hole in a KK. Best part of the nutrition, but how do you get a handle on it???

Bill Hunter