Re: [OM] A little 85/2 work

Subject: Re: [OM] A little 85/2 work
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:05:34 -0400
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll just make a couple related comments.

I don't know what the torch was but it was not a Maglite. It was only referred to as "a million candlepower". I recall seeing something similar in the local discount store and will check it out next time I'm over there. From the size I would guess it was powered by a 6 volt lantern battery. It put out an amazingly bright light against a bright summer's day.

While Amelia is young and hasn't been modeling for very long she is a professional model. She was throwing different poses and looks at us at a pretty rapid clip and would also attempt any requested look. Nancy did exceptionally well considering she had never modeled before.

Some of the hotspots in the background were there deliberately to try to teach us to use fill flash to reduce the brightness range between subject in shade and sunlit background. I didn't do very well on that part. I had never previously used fill flash with an OM. I knew this would be part of the class and I studied some of John Lind's and others comments on using fill before this event. However, in the end I was too slow attempting to use fill flash and I couldn't keep up with the other folks with their digital wunderbricks. They were popping off 3 auto-bracketed frames with fill flash while I was still thinking about pushing the shutter release. I gave up on that part.

I did not shoot any black and white but may experiment with converting some of these. And believe me, Bolty, Nancy's freckles have already been very considerably softened :-) The digital guys reproduced every one of them in exquisite detail. And I don't think I compete very well against your stuff. However, the instructor said there were many shots of Amelia in a similar pose but "Amelia 2-22" is the best.

I can't blame anyone but myself for Nancy's cut-off elbows in Nancy 2-19. The frame you see has been cropped left and right to get to an 8x10 format but the height is that of the original frame.

I will have to do some experimentation between my quest for good bokeh at f/2 and better DOF and focus by closing down. As is typical for me (and getting worse with age) I lost a lot of otherwise good shots due to poor focus or insufficent DOF.

It will be interesting to see what the girls select for themselves. Since they have literally hundreds of shots to choose from it may be none of mine. We'll see.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA