[OM] Be-meet 13-7-2003

Subject: [OM] Be-meet 13-7-2003
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:14:20 +0200
Since it is almost a month ago we (Jez Cunningham, Petertje, Wim Verheyen
and Iwert) had our be-meet and I was the host, here follows what happened:

I wanted to see some fellow listees from belgium, and send out a mail to see
if we could meet. We metin my hometown, Tongeren, Belgiums oldest city
(founded 2000 and some years ago by the romans, or even before by the
celts), right in front of the statue of Ambiorix, our local hero who
defeated Julius Ceasar in his good days. Nowadays he performs as a perfect
backdrop for Sunday Harley Davidson Chrome Meetings. I was spotted by Peter
wearing my OM gear and after getting to know who's who we headed for the
local flea market.

It was a bright and sunny velvia 50 day, so lots of folks, and nice goods
alongs the medieval wals and streets. Lots of glass work, lamps, antiques
and other niceties. We passed along the beguinage where Jez could snap some
nice postcard shots, and headed to my place for lunch.

There my wife Basil and the twins were waiting, Jez played the nice
grandfather and Peter and Wim played uncle. After lunch we had a little
testing and drooling over OM3's, 4's, 80-200 f2.8's, 90 macros of different
brands, Zuiko shifts of all kinds, a fishy view of the world, and other
accessories. I almost felt in a camera store, and Basil (20months) was
verrry impressed by all this black metal and big men discussing.

So we took him along in a back pack for a little walk into the fields, along
castles and woods. It was a hot day, conversations went from OM on topic to
Way off topic, local history, how we ended up on the list, how it is strange
to meet eachother life, after knowing digitally. However this is a small
country (belgium) in a small world. Peter's professor Japanese Religion
turns out to be one of my wife's best friends and Wim's girlfriend was one
of my first clients as an architect, I just wonder what the link with Jez
can be.

BTW, Jez showed us some very nice images from Tuscany, and he was by far
having the most fun shooting images of us all, so I suppose he can provide
the list with some images of the event.

Really a very nice day, topped off with a local icecream on a hot summers
day!

Iwert.