Re: [OM] Advice to a newbie?

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice to a newbie?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:10:33 +1000
The classic is a Pentax K1000 but they tend to get pricey as everyone recommends them. An OM1 would be fine, as would any decent manual only SLR (i.e. Spotmatics, Pentax MX, Nikkormats, Canon FD mount manual only bodies, etc.) Of course,the sensible thing would be to contact the teacher and ask first - it may not be a high school style course! Are you sure that a manual SLR is required - the class may have specific requirements. Some colleges offer courses in using your point and shoot and improving your snapshots!
AndrewF

My gf's co-worker is going to take a photography class here in Taiwan starting next week. I'm fairly curious what the teacher would recommend for a camera, as she has none..

I myself have been blessed by the OM1n, I'm extremely happy that I got an all manual camera, as I learned so much about composition, focusing, f-stops vs. shutter speed etc..

Currently, there are no Om's in Taiwan :-( I would assume the recommendation would be for an N*kon FM2, but they are $$$$... So she asked what I would recommend to her, and I'm at a loss for words as far as something that's "within" budget, available here in Taiwan, and is all manual..

Thoughts?

Albert