Re: [OM] [OT] Delete if hearing about a,gasp, Nikon D100 offends you

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Delete if hearing about a,gasp, Nikon D100 offends you
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:46:01 +0200
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:15:34 +1000
Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Tom Scales [mailto:tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]  wrote:
> > Trust me, I won't post anything else about the damn camera.
> > As busy as I am with the new job, I'll just drop into lurk
> > status and let you all talk about donuts.
>
> Bugger that, Tom! Hey, based on a complete lack of research
> and the fact that I'm an indoctrinated C*n*n "zealot" *I*
> think you made the wrong decision <grin> but that doesn't

Bah, Canon! Pentax is the only right thing...no wait, Leica....no,
Minolta...no wait, Contax....no, hang on....

Nevermind, you were saying :)

> mean I'm not curious as hell to hear how you go with your
> new system (any thought of getting a Zuiko adapter? Is one
> available?), and how it makes you feel about your "old" system
> (am I right in suggesting you won't be chucking it all? ;-) ).

If he does, I'll be the first to offer...ehh...secure long-term
off-shore storage of his gear :)

> Sheesh, don't let a couple of flip comments drive *you*
> into lurkdom - you're probably the most experienced
> Zuikoholic there is, by quantity at least.
>
> Am I right in saying that that the new wide angles don't
> fit on the 35mm bodies (or totally wrong)? What decided

I do not know much about Nikon nor the specifics of Tom's lenses, but
I did try one of the new AF-D wide angle zooms on a Nikon F5 a while
back. If I remember correctly, in one end of the zoom-setting, the
image circle "just about" covered the 35mm frame. In the other end,
it looked like a fish-eye lens (circular image) but without the
perspective distortion :)

> you against the new Oly' system (I'm suspecting some
> obvious answers here, but you might surprise me :-) )?

The "it may or may not arrive any day now" system? To me, the choise
would be simple: buying into an existing and proven system where
there is a good legacy of equipment to get around (N*, C*), or to buy
into mostly vapor-ware, which (if it ever comes to market) may or may
not be here tomorrow (the E*)?

Can't say it's a hard choise....

> If, as I perhaps wrongly assume, you are still using your
> OM system, when do you see yourself using either system,
> and what decides that (my reason is simple - I love the
> OM1/50 1.4 combo, coupled with my C41 Kodak B&W film when
> I'm thinking "serious" and slower, and the digi' when I'm
> doing things quickly and on-the-fly, though I'm averse to
> saying "snapshots" because that's not quite right in my mind).

The 55/1.2 is among my favorites for available-light photography.
Coupled with the new Velvia and a monopod, and it's a winner :) The
only thing is, that focusing has to be "tag on" since DOF with any
/1.2 is virtually non-existing :)

What I really would like to see (Tom, are you listening?) would be
the bokeh of your new glass. Some honest opinion on how the much
larger DOF is to work with. My experience (which limits itself to the
C3030z and similar digital cameras) is that the smaller sensor
requires more thought to get subject-background isolation. I imagine
that the slightly slower lenses makes that even harder still, but it
may also just be a matter of the right technique. If you (Tom) get
around testing this, please do share...

> C'mon, don't go! I'll buy you a donut - any flavour you
> like ;-)

I live in France...would it be OK if I just buy Tom S. a baguette?
(Donuts are surprisingly hard to come by here....not that I miss
them, I am surprised people can make themself eat those things...)

--thomas

> Cheers
> Marc
> Sydney, Oz