[OM] Rejoining the list

Subject: [OM] Rejoining the list
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:58:06 +0100
Hi all,

Right, finally established that it's that awkward word 'uns*bscribed' which has caused this message not to get through the three times I've already sent this. Thanks to Thomas for letting me know! Now, a few days late and suitably edited:

I've been abroad for much of the last three weeks and so spent some time -signed off-. I've just been scanning through the digest archives for the time I missed (very very quickly as I'm a busy man at the moment!) and see there's talk of an OM meeting on August 30th - sounds good and I should be able to make it. I reckon the weather will probably be more pleasant than it was for our last London OM gathering back in January! What's the state of the arrangements?

I also see there's been a good amount of talk of bagels.  From the
London perspective I advise anyone passing that way to try out the bagel
shops on Brick Lane in the East End - open 24 hours, very cheap and very
very tasty.  Very popular spot to grab a snack after a night out in
Shoreditch or Hoxton.

My excursions abroad were to Italy for a holiday and to the Canary
Islands for work (using the 4.2m William Herschel Telescope on the
island of La Palma - would have loved to attach my OM to the back and
use it as a 10,500/2.5 lens!!).  I have some Italy photos on my web page at

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/italy

All taken with OM-1n, + 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5 lenses.  The Milan
and Lake Como page is not ready yet, but photos from Rome, Florence and
Perugia are there.  Just posted off the Canary Island photos to Fuji
today and should have them up by the weekend.  Can't wait to see how the
4-hour star trail photos I took come out!

Airport security issues - pleased to report that Gatwick is happy not to
scan fast films, if you insist.  The guy manning the scanners was
adamant that they don't harm any film, but referred me to his supervisor
when I protested, and they did a strange swab test instead of scanning
them.  All the other airports I've passed through recently have not even
done that and have just let the film go unscanned.

Hope all across Europe are enjoying the heatwave - the British are mostly complaining loudly about it, but we'll be complaining it's too cold again in a couple of weeks time.

Roger