Re: [OM] Mars close encounter

Subject: Re: [OM] Mars close encounter
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:06:18 +0100
Yes, sorry to be so negative! But still, I think it's worth having a go at capturing Mars - from a city the way to go is the fixed-tripod, short exposure route. Here's a shot from London, taken with a 50/1.8 lens and about 10s exposure:

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/astro/photos/pictures/mojuvem1.jpg

Moon, Venus and Jupiter are the three brightest objects. Mars was also visible on the original photo but it's a grotty horrible scan from years ago and you can't see it in this image. At the time it was not very bright - now it's brighter than Jupiter so would be easy to see in a similar photo.

Roger

Thomas Haegin wrote:

Uhmm Roger,
you are so encouraging... :-)
Thanks for telling me... quite sobering. I see I could
take some other pictures, but a "straight" nice
picture of Mars alone is absolutely out of the
question.

And I am in a city (Zurich) which is way too bright at
night. I would definitely need to go somewhere into
the mountains or in the countryside where it is dark
at night.

Thanks very much for your mail!

Thomas