RE: [OM] Grouse Time or [OM] Radioactive glass

Subject: RE: [OM] Grouse Time or [OM] Radioactive glass
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:07:29 +0200
Hi, Mark, Jeff and all.

>> Jeff Keller [mailto:jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>> So will no money and no popularity make me impotent?
>
>No, but a too long camera-strap and an early 55/1.2
>might ;-)
>
>Cheers
>Marc

A while ago I was with a few friends, taking pics with an Ukrainian
Leica-based rangefinder, the FED-5V. These cameras, made until the 90's in
Kharkov, are supposed to be radiactive because:

1.- The Lanthanum glass element in their excellent Industar-61L/D lens.
2.- Kharkov is about 250 miles away from Chernobyl!!!

After I told them the story about this camera, it was quite funny to see
them literally *jump* whenever I put the camera near their crotches ;-) ;-)
;-)

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>