Re: [OM] Pushing Film and an Intro

Subject: Re: [OM] Pushing Film and an Intro
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:24:40 +0200
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:20:28 -0500 (GMT)
reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello - I'm new to this list, so I feel that I should start by
> saying that I prefer Dunkin' Donuts to Krispy Kreme, do not drive
> an SUV or own an elephant, know virtually nothing about Colorado,
> do not care one way or the other about the sexual preferences of my
> clergy or my cameras, and love (well made) bagels.

Welcome. Sounds like you're fitting right in. Ohh, and please do NOT
elaborate on the "sexual preferences of my....cameras" part, I am not
sure I am ready for that :)

> I do own an OM-G (I believe this is an OM-20 outside of the US).
> Its the only camera I own and the only proper camera I've ever
> owned (Instamatics do not count).  Although I've been taking
> pictures for years, I've never done much to technically stretch
> myself.  So while the old girl is in the shop for a much needed
> overhaul, I've been doing a lot of reading about night and
> low-light photography.  Which brings me to my novice question about
> pushing film.  The ASA setting on my camera only goes up to 1600.
> Am I correct that this is irrelevant to taking pictures or exposing
> film?  That this setting on the camera only exists to send
> information to the light meter?  So I could quite conceivably use
> 1600 film and push it to 3200 and where the ASA dial is set doesn't
> matter?

The ISO setting (that's what ASA is called outside the US....you
started it *gg*) only matters to the light meter and the auto mode
(of course). If you use neither, then the setting means squad :)

> What I would need is an external light meter.  Would anyone care to
> make recommendations about reliable hand held light meters which
> will not cost me one of the arms I need to hold the camera?

Uhh...I have a Sekonic 308bII (I think...it's a Sekonic 308, the
"bII" may or may not be correct).

I picked thatone since (i) it's small, (ii) it does not need a 500
pages manual to use, (iii) it's small, (iv) it has flash-meter, which
has come handy exactly twice, (v) it's small, (vi) it has a simple,
reasable display.

...did I mention that it is nice and small? :)

At any rate, welcome to the list. Glad to have you on board.

--thomas