Re: [OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on f

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on film. (long)
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 04:08:59 -0700
At 10:13 PM 8/9/2003 +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
....And I saw again some of the shots that caused me some agony over the last
18 - 24 months.

Zuiko 100/2 shots that should have been tack sharp but were not despite
using a tripod and OM4T self-timer and all that brings with it.  35~105 shots
that were lousy and some that were not. Same lens.

It is difficult to put a finger on what has contributed to the few sharp shots I
have.

Hi Brian, remember that there are multiple factors
- what size of enlargement do you normally do? and at what viewing distance? Me? Personally I would to have tack sharp pictures at 8x10 3 inches viewing distance minimum, and 11x17 tack sharp at 3" if I can get it. Unfortunately, that just ain't going to happen all the time w/ my preferred hand-held, low light, wide aperture, and fast film (400F Provia)

- on the unsharp pictures, are they unsharp because
A) focus error
B) minimal DOF
C) you moving the camera
D) camera vibration
E) too low shutter speed
F) lens performance, especially at wide open

I think answering this question will help you a lot on finding a solution. Good luck!