[OM] Blur from camera shake

Subject: [OM] Blur from camera shake
From: "Ralf Loi" <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:27:24 +0200
All this talk about sharpness reminds me one problem.
A couple of months ago I was at a wedding, were I was an unofficial
photographer. There was the opportunity to meet all my cousins (not too
many, but very disperses), so I take apart a friend (a Ni*on guy), gave my
OM4 with 35/70, and he took a photo of us all. After, when I saw the camera
I noticed that focusing he moved also the aperture ring from F/8 to F/22,
so the approximate speed (on auto) moved from 1/250 to 1/30. I suspected
immediately for blur so we try again.
After receiving the prints, I noticed that the first photo is very nice but
blurred from camera shake, and the second is technically good but not so
nice.
I reminded that some 20 years ago I read an article on Scientific American
(the italian version) about digital reconstruction of photo. Using FFT
techniques they were able to transform blurred images from out of focus or
camera shake into good ones. It is interesting to read today the devices
they used: my laptop is probably more powerful that their big computer, and
my scanner does it weight only a fraction of their photomultiplier used to
digitalize the photos. But the math does non change.
So, anyone knows of a standalone program that I can use to restore the nice
but blurred photo?

Thaks in advance
Ralf Loi