Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:53:42 -0400

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 10:14  AM, Kennedy McEwen wrote:

I can't fully debunk it, but I think it is unlikely, due to the nature of the problem. The yellow is damaged silicon compounds in the glass as a consequence of the radiation and I cannot see any way that exposure to UV would repair this.

To emphasize what I posted yesterday: In order of probability, the 'yellow', analogous to that on the resilient inorganic mineral of your teeth, is most likely derived from organic materials. Organic chemical binders, etc., are used in MC. Organic carbon bonds are VERY sensitive to radiation damage; likewise, potentially can be removed. If solvent removal of the coating can be accomplished, the yellow should "went". Like UV treatment from a dentist or sunlight on organic stains on sheets, organic stain can be "bleached", i.e. oxidized.

What I implied, but did not stress: Glass, a 'non-crystalline' melt of boron, silicon oxides and other elements, lacks the radiation sensitive organic carbon bonds. Glass is so resistant to radiation damage that zillions of $ have been invested in the development of processes for encapsulation of extrEMEly radioactive waste for 'eternity'. Depending on the ingredients of a specific glass, glass can be susceptible to 'fogging' or color change induced by intense ionizing radiation.

Distilling all this to the pragmatics of a discolored Zuiko from rare earth containing coatings: First, the ionizing radiation level is extremely low. While difficult to separate radiation induced change from chemical degradation of the organic coatings, the science says the damage is on the exterior of the lens, not within the inorganic glass matrix. UV, whether device or sun generated, can be useful for "bleaching" organic discoloration. Solvents may also work. The obvious: once bleached by UV or dissolved by solvents, you no longer have a MC lens with the same optical characteristics. You should have clear glass.
Shine on...
Bill Hunter