[OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on film.

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on film. (long)
From: "Rich" <deepkeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0700
Brian,

A couple thoughts that occurred to me while reading your post.  First, maybe
your OM body needs a CLA, new mirror bump stops, etc.  More than likely,
it's our middle aged eyes.  My results w/regards to focus seem to be all
over the map of late, which is disconcerting.

Second, I used to be able to fire (camera, firearm, whatever) between
heartbeats.  With a pulse of 50 and being very athletic & fit, the pulse was
a pretty solid "ka-thump!" and easy to notice (esp. looking through a scope
or binoculars).  Now that I have atrial fibrillation and sit at this stupid
computer drinking beer and eating Doritos & 5-layer dip, that technique is
out the window.  All bets are off as to what's going on with my pulse while
attempting to squeeeeeeze that shutter release.  Multiple exposures is my
insurance technique now.  I've even taken multiple exposures varying the
focus ring lately.  That gets expensive.

I'm thinking along the lines of bean bag, weights, sturdy tripod (w/weight
hanging below, etc.), cable release, self-timer mirror pre-fire.  That's
about all I can think of that I can do, besides handing off the camera to
someone else (gulp).  Oh, and sending it off for CLA...

Higher shutter speeds I already use (1/125 or more, if bright enough).
Monopod as much as possible.

Perhaps my biggest problem: I rarely  record every detail of every shot, so
I'm left guessing as to what may have caused the out-of-focus,
too-dark/light, lousy DOF, etc. shots.  I'm sure mustering the discipline to
record the exposure details for a few rolls would be very enlightening, and
bring my technique up a full notch.

I tell myself, when surrounded by P&S/digital wonder folks happily snapping
away, that for the most part, they are getting crap in their haste with such
carefree techniques, and I... I am the one getting the GOOD shots.  But
still, it's hard to work so slowly (in comparison) without letting their
hurriedness influence me.  Americans are not good at the patience thing.
And marching to the beat of your own drummer in a crowd is discipline in and
of itself.  I'm getting better at THAT (being a curmudgeon helps).

Rich