[OM] ( OM ) Sharp photos etc

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Sharp photos etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:50:14 +1200
Hi all,

Well, thanks for all the helpful comments. As of about 2 days ago.

Yes, the passing years don't help much, and it is said that you can tell when
you have reached a certain age / state when you know when all the public
toilets in town are. What we might call a "Woolworths" bladder. Don't ask me
to explain.

Focussing. Yes I should be more fussy about which glasses I have on, but
for at least 30 years I have used the split-image central field and as a matter
of routine I search for a straight edge in the area where I want to focus and
use that, lining up the two sides of the line. Maybe 10f my shots would I
resort to using the microprism area. Less than 1%. I just don't. The split
image seems so fast and certain.  If I have this wrong, tell me.  It also makes
it less important to be wearing the correct diopter spectacles; but of course
with the OM4T there is the correction mechanism which I use when needed.

Vibration. I sometimes try to time hand-held shots between heart-beats, but
not always. Between breaths much more often. I am not much bothered with
arythmic heart beats during the day.

Having now, during the last 2 days looked at a few hundred of my shots and
getting closer to the most recent, a few things stand out.  Listening to you
guys and reading Gary Reese's tables & text often, I take more care about
lens/camera stability. And it does seems to have paid off.

But one other thing stands out.

I have 2 - 3 lenses which, even hand-held deliver sharp shots if I try. My 2nd
Zuiko 35~70 f/3.6 seems to deliver sharp images with excellent colour and
contrast, and it doesn't seem to have the internal flare of the 1st one I
bought. Even at slow shutter speeds I have sharp images. At least one of my
Zuiko MIJ 50/1.8 is in the same category as to sharpness.  The Tokina ATX
28-40 is similar, but I'm not as sure of that.

And the Zuiko 200/4 that had the CLA is a cracker on a tripod.

Lots of scope for improvement.    Brian