Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:23:57 +0200 (CEST)
Out of curiosity I also put pretty much all my lenses
face-down on the little "light tablet" (tray) I have
for viewing slides.

These were the lenses I checked:

mm   f   S/N      Coat  Ring
---------------------------------------
50  1.8  136xxx   SC    Silver nose
50  1.8  887xxx   SC    Black nose
50  1.8  5.7 Mio  MIJ   Black nose
50  1.4  145xxx   SC    Silver nose
28  2.8  333xxx   MC    Black nose
100 2.8  202xxx   MC    Black nose

Here is what I found:

There was only one lens that actually was REALLY white
: the 50/1.8 with serial 887xxx. Interesting this was
my very first lens I obtained in 1979. It has always
been with me... no idea why it refuses to change
color.

The 50 MIJ had a slight tilt towards reddish and
warmer, as had the 100/2.8 MC.

The early 1.8/50 S/N 136xxx was darker/warmer than the
S/N 887xxx, but not as red/warm as the 100mm.

The 1.4/50 had a tilt towards greenish-greyish. With A
LOT OF goodwill one could see a little bit of yellow
in it as well. Certainly the taint on the 1.4 was
different in color than on the other lenses.

The 2.8/28mm was also warmer than white, about as the
100mm.

What does that all mean? I have no idea.

IMO we could probably ask all 200 members about their
600+ lenses and results will be all over the place...
This would show to me that Bill Hunter's assessment
that there are multiple factors, internal and
external, that contribute to changing the color of
glass must be quite correct, and yellowing is only one
possible variation among many.

I was quite surprised to see the differences so
clearly when putting them side-by-side. However, I
would not consider the color bias in any individual
lens as problematic. At least I never noticed
pronounced color shifts when looking at printed or
projected pictures of mine.

FWIW,
Thomas

 --- Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx> schrieb: > Mark