[OM] RE: printer woes

Subject: [OM] RE: printer woes
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:40:22 -0700
Printer is back up and running. Thanks for those links.

 Here is a quote of the most helpful info pasted from a couple of
different sites. It is specific to the 2000p but I think it would be
helpful to those of you with similar printers like the 1270/80. I used
denatured alcohol rather than windex on the rollers.  Most notable
difference in looking at my prints after the clean up (other than lack
of the black smudges) is that the color more accurately matches my
monitor and overall sharpness is better. Lessons learned, a) Keep
Printer Covered when not in use, b) Clean more frequently using the
paper towel method explained below.

mike
________________________

Q: I am getting black blobs on my prints or my rollers are getting ink
on them?

A:  You have hair or lint on your printhead nozzles and it is wiping ink
on the
rollers with each pass.

Press your eject button for 3 seconds to get the printhead
in cartridge change position and pull the plug.

Take a piece of paper towel and cut it in half and fold it a number of
times until it
fits in the little area in front of the printhead between the rubber rollers
and pizza wheels. (about half an inch wide).

Tape each side of the paper towl down well. Take a syringe and slightly soak
the paper towl with Windex - trying to stay away from the tape.

Grab your printhead and slowly pull a few times over the paper towl.
(back and forth) You will get a big mess of ink and fuzz on the paper towl.
Remove it and discard.. (One tiny piece of lint or cat hair can easily
cause
this problem)

Repeat this again with a new piece of towel with more Windex.

Take your syringe and make the pad where the printhead rests wet with
Windex.
Be careful here not to do this quickly. You can make this pad very wet
if you
do it slowly - which is good.

Clean your rubber rollers with Q-tips wet with Windex. Dry them by running a
sheet of plain paper through with the paper feed button.

Move your printhead manually back to the right cartridge parking
position and plug
back in.

Run a couple cleaning cycles to thouroughly clean the nozzles and your
problem should be gone.

It is very important to keep lint out of your printer. Make sure you
blow of each
sheet of art or watercolor paper before putting into your printer. These
papers
attract and hold little hairs and lint and must individually be checked
before insertion
into your printer.

You might think of keeping a soft, wide paint brush next to your printer
to wipe
off these particular papers.
------------------------------

If you notice streaks of ink marring your printouts, your printer's
paper eject rollers may be dirty. You can clean the rollers using the
cleaning tool that came with your printer (or you can just use cotton
swabs). Follow these steps:

1. Make sure the printer, is turned off and the power light is off.
2. Place several sheets of plain paper in the printer.
3. Dampen the cleaning tool, and then squeeze out any excess water.
4. Hold down the yellow ink cartridge replacement button, and then turn
on the printer by pressing the power button. Continue holding down the
yellow button until you see all three control panel lights flashing.
5. Press the load/eject button. A sheet of paper feeds into the printer
(under the paper eject rollers) and the rollers turn slowly.
6. Wipe off ink from the rollers using the dampened cleaning tool as
shown in your manual. If the paper ejects before you finish cleaning,
press the load/eject button to feed another sheet into the printer.
7. When you're finished, turn the printer off.