Re: [OM] A quick E-1 poll

Subject: Re: [OM] A quick E-1 poll
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:40:40 -0700
Not enough info to say yet.

I will almost certainly buy a DSLR in the not so distant future. Likely I will buy it with a couple of zooms to cover all the normal fls with full focus and exposure automation. In addition to all the usual criteria I will use to decide, I want to be able to use it with my many MF lenses, Zuikos, Oly mount Tokinas and Tamron Adaptalls.

Although I would like that camera to be an Olympus, I don't know yet whether the E-1 will qualify. First, it isn't clear whether or when an OM to E-1 adapter will appear and how well it will perform. I seem to recall that the register distance on the E-1 is such that any adapter will require optics. It is not clear to me whether the E-1 will meter in stop down mode with an MF lens on an adapter. Given that only the most expensive Nik*n DSLR will do this, while all cheaper ones won't meter at all with their older MF lenses, this seems a significant issue to me.

So , there are too many unknowns to answer the question yet. If the E-1 doesn't cut it, I'll probably go Can*n. All my existing Oly mount lenses can be used with it using an adapter that has no optics. The Tamrons can be used directly with EOS Adaptall mounts. Nik*n is out for the reason above. I don't know much about the Pent*x yet, but it will do stop down metering with MF lenses, including screw mount, so Oly mount can almost cetainly be used with an adapter.

Another possiblilty if the E-1 doesn't cut it is to buy a good prosumer DC until the DSLR that fits my needs shows up.

Moose

Albert wrote:

Quick poll:

Who thinks they will buy an E-1?