Re: [OM] Sunpak flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpak flashes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:58:20 -0500
At 07:04 PM 8/12/03, you wrote:
John,
Your description of the sliding tab within the battery door was perfect.
Works very well. So, I could trade this from my 30DX to a 120J TTL? Can the
120J TTL be bought without a module? Or, can the 120J -not TTL- be fitted
with a module? Not sure how that works.
Thanks!
-Mickey

There are two 120J units . . . the 120J Auto and the 120J TTL. The "Auto" version has a fixed non-removable foot and IIRC it has a 1/4-20 tripod socket in the bottom but no trigger contacts. It must be wired to a PC socket, or remoted on bracket and a cord used to connect it to the hot shoe. The 120J TTL can be used either way . . . Normal-Auto or TTL . . . and needs a foot. It comes without one.

If you get one, get the battery slab for it (TR-PAK IIA)! It takes forever to recycle with the 4 "AA" cells. Oddly, the "AA" cells are required even when the battery slab is being used. They power the TTL electronics and the HV slab is wired directly to the HV capacitor. Recycle with the slab is on the order of about 2 second from full dump.

-- John