[OM] Polaroid remote 7020/7030

Subject: [OM] Polaroid remote 7020/7030
From: Hughes <hi100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
Lee wrote:

My question is, if anyone has one, what range do you get?  Does anyone
have documentation on the unit telling what range one should get?  10
feet seems to be the max on my unit, which is useless for me, since I
have remote cords that are way longer than this.  Also, does anyone know
what frequency the unit works on?  I can imagine other ways to send a
signal to the receiver without using the original remote :).
<<

I don't know anything about the Polaroid units but you might open one up and
check who made the
transmitter ic. Usually these single chip designs are of the "garage door
opener" variety. Often
the older units operate in the unlicensed band ~315MHz. A very popular old
chipset was made by
National semi-conductor, so the application notes on their website will help
you figure out range
etc.  More recent vendors are Micrel,Maxim Semi. etc Newer units often run in
the unlicensed
900MHz ism band. You can buy modern postage stamp size complete hybrid transmit
and recieve
devices from companies like LYNX Technologies, very inexpensively which only
need a 6 in wire
antenae and 3V battery to get 100ft+ range. You would have to add a Fet
transistor to the output
to operate the winder. Digikey sells the devices by mail order and the Lynx
website has good
application notes.

Regards,
Tim Hughes