Re: [OM] Lens caps

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens caps
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:03:05 -0400
Concur with the voice of experience. It is easy to forget the rigor of tropical climates. From a microbiology viewpoint, I did mention temperature in a general way. Useful information to know in protecting your valuable lenses: most micro-organisms have an optimum range of culture temperatures. Long time since I read the typical upper limit for mold, but suffice to say it is less than 100° F. Mold blossoms in a cool refrigerator, but not in the heat. (Published temp limits can easily be found with Google, e.g. "mold culture".) The temp regulated heat box is not designed to 'cook' your zuiko or zucchini or even to reduce the humidity. Rather, it serves to maintain the temp above that which mold will grow, humidity or no humidity.

Finally, the issue of contact area is important with respect to the use of silica gel. They do work and work well. Have seen this packaged in a yogurt sized container which is VERY poor geometry to be effective. My suggestion of pouring a small amount in a hose or sock increases the surface area for increased effectiveness. Both desiccants and heat work - if employed with an understanding of the problem. Take your choice.
Best,
Bill